Math Specialist, Mrs. Colleen Cummings organized and now leads Center’s very own Math Olympiad Team. The club meets after school weekly for an hour and explores a math topic or strategy in-depth . The highlights for students are five monthly contests, given from November to March. These contests provide an incentive for students to intensify their study of math.
The Math Olympiad program is also grounded in the following goals:
- To stimulate enthusiasm and a love for Mathematics
- To introduce important Mathematical concepts
- To teach major strategies for problem solving
- To develop Mathematical flexibility in solving problems
- To strengthen Mathematical intuition
- To foster Mathematical creativity and ingenuity
- To provide for the satisfaction, joy, and thrill of meeting challenges
The team members agree that the problems require concentration, confidence, persistence, and patience to solve. Mrs. Cummings adds that the students have to be willing to try different ways to solve the challenges and keep working even when it’s hard….a great life lesson! Visit http://www.moems.org/ to learn more about the program.
Gratitude to our PTO and to Mrs. Cummings for bringing this enrichment opportunity to our students.